In the 1930’s the 24 Hours of Le Mans race track organizers, the ACO, installed every half kilometers “un poteau Michelin”, or Michelin Sign, especially made for the circuit and offered by DAS (Defense Automobile et Sportive, a government agency) to show the racers locations on the race track.
Over the years these signs were either broken due to accidents or removed for safety reasons. A few remaining signs are on display at the Le Mans museum, others were destroyed when removed.
One of the only surviving one believed to be in private hands is the 4.5 km one that we are offering here. This particular marker was placed in the Mulsanne straight (la ligne droite des Hunaudières), close to the famous restaurant l’Auberge des Hunaudières.
The sign is 46” tall by 24.5” wide, made of reinforced cement - 170lbs heavy - with enamel white face, navy blue and red markings and logos. A- cond., (some paint and enamel chips and knicks).
A similar sign for the 6.5 km marker is on display at the Brooklands Museum.
Authentique panneau marqueur Michelin du circuit automobile des 24 Heures du Mans Echte Michelin Marker-Panel von der Schaltung 24 Stunden von Le Mans Genuina panel de marcadores Michelin desde el circuito 24 Horas de Le Mans Pannello indicatore Michelin autentico dal circuito 24 Ore di Le Mans