One of the only surviving markers believed to be in private hands is the 4.5 km one that we are offering here. White enamel face with navy blue and red markings and logos, 46” tall by 24.5” wide, made of reinforced cement, mounted on removable metal base, 180lbs, A- cond., (some paint and enamel chips and nicks).
In the 1930’s the 24 Hours of Le Mans race track organizers, the ACO, installed every half kilometers “un poteau Michelin”, or Michelin Sign, especially made for the circuit and offered by DAS (Defense Automobile et Sportive, a government agency) to show the racers locations on the race track.
Over the years these signs were either broken due to accidents or removed for safety reasons. A few remaining signs are on display at the Le Mans museum, others were destroyed when removed. This particular marker was placed in the Mulsanne straight (la ligne droite des Hunaudières), close to the famous restaurant l’Auberge des Hunaudières.